Monday, February 22, 2010

Dolly Donations

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just found out about Dolly Donations a few days ago. For those of you who aren't aware, Dolly Donations is collecting handmade dolls for Haitian orphans. There is a goal of 181 dolls and any extra that they receive will be delivered to other needy children in the area, orphans or not.

I don't have much money, but I do have a little bit of time and a whole lot of craft supplies. I pulled every bit of brown fabric I had and cut out two dolls as a start (they want you to make more than one so that no orphan feels singled out for having a doll very different from someone else).



I finished these girls in just one night. With a March 31 deadline I wasn't sure how much I could accomplish, but the pattern is really so simple (I actually made it more difficult and added the socks) that you can do a lot in a little time.

I have since started on four more dolls, two boys and two girls. I have more fabric left too, so depending on how quickly those four finish up I should have plenty of time for even more to be made and shipped to New York before the deadline.

Did I mention that your shipping is tax deductible? And that Dolly Donations has a PDF form to fill out on the blog that will get you a receipt for the fair market value of the dolls you send to deduct that from your taxes too? Check out the blog for the super simple pattern and shipping directions if you'd like to join in!

1 comment:

  1. They're very cute. You're a good egg, Melinda :)

    ReplyDelete

No more annoying word verification! I do still moderate comments though, so if you don't see yours, I haven't approved it yet! Don't worry, I will!